What documents do I need to make a Housing Benefit claim?
When making a Housing Benefit claim, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of identification, i.e. a document showing your name and current address
- Proof of all income coming into your household – i.e. earnings, benefits, pensions and any other income
- Anyone over the age of 18yrs who lives at your address will also be required to provide proof of their income
- Current bank account statement
- Proof of all savings
- Details of household family members
- All relevant documents must show your current address.
What if I don't get enough Housing Benefit?
You can download this helpful fact sheet on Discretionary Housing Payment:
What do I do if my Housing Benefit claim is refused?
If your Housing Benefit claim is refused and you feel that the decision is wrong, you can contact Bolton Council and:
- Ask them to explain it
- Ask them to look at the decision again- this is called a reconsider
- Appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision
You need to contact Bolton Council on 01204 331590 within one month of the date on the decision letter.
You can download a reconsider claim form here.
We can look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to appeal against this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you.
Please call our Money Advice Team on 01204 329868 if you need support.