Bolton Manbassadors under construction
This page is under construction. Please bear with us whilst we make it the best it can be!
Not been feeling yourself lately? Lost with no direction? Want to make a change but don't know where to start? Don't know who to talk to?
Bolton’s Manbassadors are here for a man-to-man talk. When things get tough, we look out for each other. We can help you get back on track. We promote positive mental health and wellbeing in men.
We want to help you get the right support for your:
- Mental health
- Employment situation
- Gambling habits
- Debt and financial worries
- Alcohol and drug Addiction
- Housing issues
- Link you with peer-to-peer support groups
- Connect you to men’s community groups and social activities
- Keep you up to date with what’s going on locally for men
- Or just be here if you want to chat…
Be Brave. There’s strength in asking…
What's the Bolton Manbassadors project all about?
Bolton Manbassadors is a pilot project delivered by Bolton at Home.
The project aims to:
- Grow a network of local businesses acting as men’s health advocates across Bolton.
- Support men to access the support they require on issues that impact on their mental health
Following in the footsteps of the Orion Partnership ‘Manbassadors’ project in Leeds, Bolton Manbassadors are looking to take a different approach in engaging men, normalising conversations around mental health, removing the stigma and supporting men to get the support they need.
Why's this project needed?
Did you know?
- 1 in 6 adults (over 16) are experiencing common mental health problems at any one time?
- In the UK, men are only around half as likely as women to access psychological therapies, and it’s also believed they are less likely to speak to family or friends about mental health issues
- Every week, 125 people in the UK take their own lives
- 3 in 4 people who commit suicide are male.
- Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK.
- The last time there was a recession in 2008, suicides increased by 10%. With the impact that COVID-19 is having on our community’s mental health and wellbeing, we need to look out for each other.
I'd like to become a Manbassador and support men's mental health. Where do I start?
If you're a local business in Bolton, this project is a way for you to play your part to help men in the local community.
The aim of the Bolton Manbassadors project is to try to tackle high rates of male suicide and mental health issues. We are reaching out to all men to offer support with a simple intervention of an informal, bite size support delivered on a very local level.
BE AN AMBASSADOR: for men’s mental health and wellbeing. Let’s get people talking, reduce the stigma and normalise the conversation around mental health
LOOK OUT: for signs and symptoms of poor mental health in your male customers
HAVE A CHAT: Just asking ‘how are you?’ – and taking time to listen properly to the response – can make an enormous difference
HAND OUT THE LEAFLET: help someone who needs to access support go in the right direction
DISPLAY THE LEAFLET AND POSTER: to increase awareness of project locally
CONNECT WITH OTHER LOCAL SME BUSINESSES: this is an opportunity to build an SME business Manbassador network to connect with likeminded businesses and share ideas
FREE PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL: we’ll supply you with leaflets , posters, shop window stickers and social media graphics- you just need to display them
ACCESS TO FREE TRAINING: we can support you to have confident conversations around mental health
OPPORTUNITY FOR FREE PUBLICITY: have your business name shared on the Bolton at Home website and on Bolton Manbassadors social media pages
ADDING SOCIAL VALUE: supporting a worthy campaign will add social value to your organisation
MAKE A DIFFERENCE: within your community and play your part
GOOD PR: gain a caring reputation and the potential to increase repeat custom and customer loyalty!
Want to find out more? Get in touch with us:
- Email: email@example.com
- Or call Adam Warbrick on: 07787337474
Meet the Manbassadors
Hi! I’m Adam – I’m the Project Lead for Bolton Manbassadors and a Community Development Officer for Bolton at Home.
Feeling down, alone, not your usual self, want something to do but don’t know where to start? It’s ok. I’ve been there too.
Bolton Manbassadors can help.
We have loads of info for Men about what you can get involved in and what support is out there for you. I know it can feel weird/overwhelming asking for support but it might just be the first step to something positive.
Here’s a bit about myself:
- I’m an adopted Boltonian bloke with a scouse accent.
- I’m sport mad - in particular footy / cricket and can chat on all day about this.
- I’m a disaster at DIY - my kitchen has been flooded twice so far this year- that washing machine!
- Although I can’t DIY, my shed is my sanctuary- mostly used to escape & listen to music
- I love the outdoors and finding new walks with my border terrier.
- I’m just about coming to terms that I’ve got more hair on my face than my head.
Manbassadors is about connecting you to change and a new future. Whether that is getting involved in a new group or activity or you need help from services- we’ve got the information you need.
I can be the worst at asking for help/starting something different. I know for most of us blokes this can be difficult to do. But it doesn’t need to be that way. You are not bothering anyone; we are all here to help- just get in contact.
If there’s anything on the list you would like to get involved with, need support accessing a service, would like to start a community project of your own or have further questions about Bolton Manbassadors, contact me using the details on this page.