Keeping your home secure
Bolton at Home staff and our contractors should always carry ID, which you should ask to see before letting us in.
Reduce the risk of a break-in with these steps.
- Close and lock all windows and doors whenever you leave the property, even if you are back soon.
- Never leave a key hidden outside your home or on a string behind the letterbox.
- When you are at home, don’t leave keys in doors or near to doors.
- Do not put a label on your house keys that gives your address.
- Lock all external gates, sheds and garages.
- Always check the identity of callers to your home before letting them in.
- Never leave valuables on display and hide smaller items.
- Do not leave ladders or tools outside of your home as these can help intruders gain access.
- Install timers on lights or radios to make it seem that the property is occupied if you are out.
- If you have a burglar alarm fitted, use it.
If your home is broken into
If your home has been broken into, report it to the police as soon as you have found out.
If your property is damaged, we will carry out necessary repairs providing you give us a crime reference number.
We will not pay for repairs or replacement of your personal belongings.
You should have your own contents insurance to cover this. Click here for more information about contents insurance.